Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How can I automatically log my internet facing ip address every day?

I need to keep track of my real external ip address as the ISP changes it every day or two. (Not the internal NATed DHCP address) If I go to any of those %26quot;What's my ip address?%26quot; websites that tell me the ip address which the outside world sees me sourcing from it changes every day or two. I need a script or tool I can install on my laptop that will keep a log listings of my real ip addresses as it changes.How can I automatically log my internet facing ip address every day?Write a program that will go to one of those sites, scrape the IP address, and log it with the time and date. Then run the program as a Scheduled Task.How can I automatically log my internet facing ip address every day?If you need to contact your PC from somewhere on the internet, some sort of dynamic DNS hosting would work best. Then a static name could resolve to your dynamic IP. Do a web search for %26quot;dns hosting%26quot;.



I have been using no-ip.com for years. They have a client app that runs in the background on any PC to contact them occasionally to grab your connecting public IP. Although, to update it promptly with minimal network traffic I run a Perl script in the background on a Linux box to monitor whether the IP on my modem/router has changed and only notify them if it has changed.