Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Is doing a 50% water change every 4 days bad for my fish?

I have goldfish and my tank is stocked max ( 20 gallons for the fish fish, 10 for the others) and I don't want them to be stunted because of water quality is this okay. I don't have water testing stuff.Is doing a 50% water change every 4 days bad for my fish?Extra water changes are fine, and 50% water changes are fine.



Water changes will NOT affect the tanks cycle in any significant way. The filter bacteria live stuck to the solid surfaces in the filter media and one the gravel etc. You can do a 100% water change and not loose cycle, but thats stressfull for the fish, so stick with the 50%.so you dont need to remove the fish from the tank.



It may be more water changes than you need, but it will do no harm.



The only situation where a big water change could cause a problem is if you have neglected the tank for a while. Then the pH etc in the tank could have changed and the big water change might shock the fish. But if you are changing the water twice a week, the tank water will still be very similar to the new tap water, no shock to the fish at all.



IanIs doing a 50% water change every 4 days bad for my fish?That's fine.



Some fish breeders do a 90% water change EVERY DAY.





As long as the fish is used to it, it's not going to hurt them, and the fresher the water, the better.





Remember, %26quot;the solution to the polution is dilution%26quot;!Is doing a 50% water change every 4 days bad for my fish?Well I wouldn't say its bad, but doing a 50% water change every 4 days can remove much of the beneficial bacteria in your tank. Try to add water from a mature tank every now and then to get a balance. I actually took water from my pond and put it into a goldfish tank, the water stays clean so I don't even have to change it so regularly =]Is doing a 50% water change every 4 days bad for my fish?yes as it damages the amount of bacteria in the water, so you will find you have high Nitrite rates for a couple of days.

Breeders do do 90 pct water changes on occassion however, the water used tends to be of a quality significant to not make a difference, when I was breeding my water was R.O. and filtered with mature filters which were fed on a continual basis either for emergency's or for the daily 20pct changes I would do to clean out left over food.Is doing a 50% water change every 4 days bad for my fish?I usually do 10% every 2 days and my fish look very healthy